Thursday, November 27, 2014

I of an Atheist

Most of us know God don't exist.
Everyone knows God isn't there -
I'm a born-again atheist!
Must you be so doctrinaire?

Even knowing the universe is ordered,
down to Nature's infinite detail,
down to every principle's sorting -
must I buy some Holy Grail?

There is one Healer, we are all His patients,
with one breath circulating this body is whole -
from whom else, pray tell, shall I learn patience?
We atheists don't squander thought on soul.

So I praise that God that don't exist,
I see traces of that God everywhere -
and pray like no kind of atheist:
how do you explain this love in prayer?

If one would be more introspective,
"tolerance" would be replaced by clearer acceptance;
most differences being about various perspectives -
lovingkindness over ideology, empathy over invectives.

Alright! so it appears I'm one lousy atheist,
Lord knows I've tried, but His proof is unrelenting -
I'm afraid I'm just not very good at this,
I confess before the Humanists - yes, I'm repenting!

Go with your gut, don't be a dope!
Everyone has his or her wine;
the atheist has his or hers, I hope -
'cause I sure as hell brought mine.



No comments: