Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Two for Rachael

(at about age 4, in Sapphic verse-meter – sung and choreographed accordingly)

Innocently gazing with wide-eyed wonder,
Soft now, sweet breath, why tear my heart asunder?
Graceful child your form speaks of sweet surrender
Cradled in my arms.

Part now, daughter into your mother's summer,
Let her sing you soothe you into a slumber;
Always there remains between us a glimmer
Of love remembered.

Rachael, Rachael! tirelessly I hold you
In my heart by whose vision I behold you,
Seeing you in all children as I've told you –
Season by season.

(photo @ ca. one year)


(specifically on the occasion of her 7th birthday)

Rachael the beloved        tender of flocks        herself a lamb . . .
The Rachael I know was born in a spasm of light and soft quietude.
            Her open beauty revealed an impish charm.
The Rachael I know eats ice-cream 'til it runs, and dances on the rug,
            showing off.
The Rachael I know is shy until she giggles and tells you what she knows.
The Rachael I know swings at playgrounds and whispers to her friends
            at lunchtime in a jumper.
The Rachael I know is growing up as sure as sand in spinach
            and blossoming like a Rocky Mountain Columbine
                   in the pure air of a high pasture.
Rachael the woman is yet to come        and where's the hurry . . .
Let her heart be kind, her smile warm, her touch
           enough to make anyone kiss her fingers and leave
                  with generosity on his lips . . .

let her be a happy girl, a healthy and inquisitive girl,
     let her face be always, please always, her own face.

O Rachael, your birthday is my birthday!

 (photo @ ca. age 14)

No comments: