Tuesday, October 14, 2014

The I of the Beholder

Love is and naught else, for God is Love.
The I which loves and desires to express
is divine indeed, however human.
If after passing from this individuated form
I long for Union there will be none so long as I am.
Should I meet Jesus' embrace how shall I and Christ be?
Should I merge into ha-Shem how shall That be echad if I am?
Paradise is grand, Heaven is indescribable, Union alone is Union – no I.
Rumi is not cavorting with any 72 virgins, he is gone, there is only One.
I, being in love, always want to behold the beloved,
and when this being-in-love ripens to perfection, being-in will fall
of its own as leaves nourishing the earth, and becoming love itself
the beholder will be no more and this I is naught but love itself.
The practice of humility is there to find a path toward effacement.
In its effacement in the Beloved does the I of the beholder attain its purpose,
and all the religion and all the sadhana and all the yoga and all the bhajan
are only there for this I to lose itself in waking up and arriving home.


No comments: