Monday, May 2, 2011

So What . . .

SO WHAT . . .
A Commentary, 1989,
on the once raging controversy
over "The Last Temptation of Christ" (book and film),
  • sung to the trad. William Blake's "Jerusalem"

What if those feet in ancient time
never had met with English soil; 
what if that loaf and fish were gone:
would this His rich example spoil?

Walking on lakes, raising the dead …
what if He had not died on the cross,
fulfilling Law, forgiving sins -
and moved to Kashmir or Kansas?

(Refrain) Bring me His soul, His lust for the Truth;
bring me His oft-redeeming Grace;
bring me to just put on His Mind
that His eyes' glance peer from my face!

My stomach cannot scholars brook
without a grain of salt from the earth -
I'll let the heretics, orthodox,
all wrangle o'er his death and birth.


What tho' He spoke ought Canon's verse,
or if He had ere kith or kin;
(was He the less the offered Lamb
had He once loved that Magdalene?)

In flesh of Man did he not pass?
Since when was man without paradox?
Unscathed by thinkers free, His Majesty!
(“Art“ threatens all Scribes orthodox.)

(Refrain) Bring me His Joy in nature's gifts;
bring me His Beauty unsurpassed;
bring me His Laughter pure divine;
that soothing Love so unabashed!

I'll better fare His thorny path,
than suffer more the Vatican's pomp -
or Protestant cravings, libraries -
I care not for divisive camps.

No comments: