Sunday, March 30, 2014

Speak the Kaddish: Mourning Has Broken

Grief is my foe, not the loss –
for in the Heart is nothing lost that is dear, and no one – no!
On this I will not bend.
Grief is my adversary – the loss, my battlefield.
Oh, sacred, poignant grief – gentle, brutal,
penetrating and seering, merciless and compassionate.
I will not submit.
                        
Everyone meets you alone; each on his, on her own terms
is met by you – but are you mocking me
or beckoning with a smile – all surreal, all so real.
A sharp pain and a dull, so blunt, which is worse…
I am tired from it, I sleep in fits, waking knowing –
the departed is still departed, however often I awake.
Alone I encounter you, gray, uncomforting and cruel;
alone on this field called Loss,
barely seeing through the mist,
though the sun be out and shining –
oh, what is this mist!

Is it the tears?
Are they mine, then let them be mine!
Are these my tears?
Then I will shed them and shed many,
I will not submit.
The scar you leave me
must not heal for me to be whole,
I will carry it, I will caress it,
and I will meet you with all my strength
and all my wrath and all my tears now,
on this field of battle.

I will embrace you, Grief,
and with my tears and Love’s faith,
I will prevail and overcome you and break you,
again and again as often as you like – until
I’ve consumed you, absorbed and digested you.
And I will speak the Kaddish and extol the Name,
and I will triumph.
Now Mourning has broken, now may it begin.

















    
 (Lazarus Hospice, Berlin)


 (at Terezìn Concentration Camp, May 1992)

No comments: