Saturday, August 3, 2013

Nursing Home Night Shift Reflections, late '70s

Shiva's Nursing Hum

Between flabby buttocks and pungeant wilted thighs
ancient forgotten breasts and an old woman's sighs:
there is space, yes – there too am I.
Only 3:30 a.m. (she's at it again)
Flooding her sheets and coughing up phlegm;
I've changed every thread on her bed just the same . . .
Ah, glorious decay! This too I am.
But let me once forget her arthritic hip -
Later on she “reminds“ me by the knee I wincing, grip.
And sitting her up in a gerry-chair
I pass this comb through her passing hair.
See if this water carressing her throat
       doesn't affirm “I Am You“ -
transformed to urine or a single tear:
no matter which, it still holds true.
And in her tear, her pulse, her glance -
there indeed behold my dance!
Pan-Handling Trilogy

I. My Backs

Slender limbs rising from twin trunks
Tenfold and labored peering back like weary elders
From knuckle to ruddy knuckle
      hanging skin like a pachyderm joint in runny nylons
Slender but uneven
Patterns intricately woven through and through.

II. My Fronts

Bare side open-palmed smooth and stoic
The lines etched into sturdy fingers are as telling
As the creases dividingthe palms by sections
      and intersections
Less diturbing more reassuring of work offered
      with both hands.
III. These Hands

Leaning over siderail
    dim light
         radiator's hum.
These hands push and roll
      a bony thin-skinned body
             to the left    to the right;

Tugging out drenched   cotton square and drawsheet
                   with one hand
Slipping fresh dry    and smooth    one under
               with the other hand.

These hands   swiftly settle   tired    sagging   form
                                                        into pillowed comfort
                             and I kiss the brow
                   and the cheek          and the eyes
of that smooth withered face     with faint wrinkles     faint smile -
        Shallow staccato breath channels through that nose . . .

Three hours later these nostrils inhale deeply
      as I step out  . . .
                 into morning  . . .  air;
their membrane holds the odor of a hundred bedpans.
MIDNITE SHUNYATA (Bed-toven)

I think that I shall never see
A po'm so pungeant as bedpan pee;
Nor malcontent toward bowel's content -
There's nothing wrong, just incontinent.
For after all you must agree:
These bodies here are no less sentient
Than either one of you or me.

No comments: