Monday, July 22, 2013

From Athens To Piraeus

Vassilis Giakoumis, the islander who had instructed Anthony Quinn and Alan Bates on the set for "Zorba the Greek" was now teaching me in Boulder, '77 or '78, The Dance. The Zorba Dance, The theme dance to the movie – the heart-attack dance as he taught it and as I learned it and as I still dance it 35 years notwithstanding. Why should I not believe him, that he was on the set, he was as fun as it gets, and dubbed me his Zorba. He wore black and carried The Cap. It is a matter of film-or-just-Quinn buff knowledge, that The Anthony could not get The Dance, so they composed a Tsirtaki step simple enough for him, and you don't see him actually dance what Vassilis taught me, which was certainly not just Hollywood: it is uncomplicated but creative, not stilted, and it requires stamina and duration, it puts your pumper to work and you'd better not be on medication. Ouzo always helps, but it does my stomach no favor and I end up depositing the substance later where that goes.


But I'm getting ahead of myself. In 1976 at the tender age of 21 and gradually leaving behind the "beardless youth" I had been, I embarked on my one and only trip abroad, some seven summer weeks in Israel to attend the Sufi "Jerusalem Camp" with work camp optionally inlcuded to set up. My student flight pkg. included first a long day's stopover in Athens, and on the return flight a week's stopover in the same. I thought, wow. Greece. Parthenon. Acropolis. Never On Sunday. Melina Mercouri. Oh yeah, and Zeus & Co. of course, my beloved Mythology.

My brother and I had loved the soundtrack as small kids, from "Never On Sunday," and at least one of us was devastated fro life by Melina Mercouri - we'd play bouzouki on heavy old wooden tennis rackets, we'd sneak into the Park Theater exit to try to catch the last ten minutes of this age-restricted film. 


I will stick here to the twin episodes of Athens and Piraeus. The latter was Melina's turf in the cinema; the former was Melina's in the form of Margarite. I was still in my "Woody Allen" years, no one at that time would have thought of Dustin Hoffman or Al Pacino, much less DeNiro. I was a schlemiel and a schmegeggie, if you will, and this happening was inevitable, as inevitable as it was surreal and as surreal as it was, in all details: real.


Inevitable it felt, so much so that in retrospect soon after, I was compelled to remark that each scenario played out like a written-then-forgotten film script, with on the spot marginal-notes and direction in brackets, as to what would exactly occcur next – and the surreality of it was, that a kooky eerie breath of some sense of this was present, hovering in my consciousness at each step of those two odd visits to my longed-for Grecian, Greek, land-o'-bleached-houses, this-sure-ain't-Kansas experience-abroad. Well, for a start I did get to experience: a broad. Dumb joke, WWII generation. Let it go.



I land at Hellenikon and my student pkg. has me riding a luxury bus into town, which would have dropped me off at Syntagma Square where any damned fool could orient himslef with all the other travelling students and youth – but noooo, I having 18 hrs. to find something to occupy myself with which wouldn't make me miss my flight out, impatiently seek to step off the bus at a randomly chosen Athenian corner. I hear, I actually hear my thoughts tell me, in a running instruction, as I was very concentrated on the purpose of my trip and I had to behave myself, watch my cash, remember that I am a student of a Sufi Murshid, and other 21-yr. old rubbish which may as well have come from Mom. Who wasn't there. Thank God. In fact, the only one who would have a problem with anything that was about to occur or my handling of it – was in my head and nowhere else. Later I could laugh about it.


And I hear this running instruction telling me, "Now you want to see the Parthenon, which is visible from here at the top of that hill over there, so stay out of trouble, don't get sidetracked, and don't go with the first nice stranger who speaks good English." Frankly, if I could have stood opposite myself and brushed off specks and straighted my bow tie and combed my fingers through my hair I'd have done that. So I step gingerly off and into that world with a caution which held no weight aganst my naiveté and youthful curiosity, a non-stop nose for adventure.
 


And stand face to face with a friendly Greek guy who speaks good English. Made to order, sent form central casting. And I'm the rube. Offers me a beer around the corner, I'm not taking at 10 am, - so fine, he changes that to coke, I tell him he's on, thinking I'm being invited, as in: native hospitality I actually wouldn't be shelling out for. Naive, I was naive. We turn the corner and go into his dive, his bar. As I sit at the bar with my coke, of course She saunters up. She takes the stool next to mine and aks me if I'd buy. She is the very picture of Melina Mercouri, or so I perceive, only in brunette – fabulous hair. Annnd, like Melina's Ilya, she would gladly go with me to a back room for which I'd pay and we'd make hay.


I hold my spot, I stick to my guns, I maintain composure, I am the picture of suave, I remain cool though worldly. I am nearly breaking into a sweat, I am barely controlling my tremble, I am possibly stammering idiocies. I am out of my element. But an element I so longed to meet, to know, to master. It would come. But not that day, not that day.


I have the uncanny feeling of a pre-written script giving instruction to what is to be acted out seconds before it happens, and this follows me, scene for scene, throughout my entire stay in Greece where I'm on my own, that day and the entire week later on. And this uncanniness occurs to me consciously only later when reflecting on it all afterward. "This is where he meets...Her...."


She is playing with my knee, an old device – it's working, she has me. But I politely turn her down while letting her order her first of two drinks on my tab (I still have my one coke), I'm not thinking so much of the learned-"wrongness" of going back there into some room with her or of possibly contracting something painful to have treated, so much as a more realistic, albeit highly improbable, caution on my part which saw me lying unconscious on the floor with a bruiser on my head and all my cash and related valuables gone, in short, really screwed. And that kind of screwed I could do without. So I'm thinking, as I muster all my suave to charm her and to resist her wiles, as I light her cigarette of course. Right.


I ask her her name. Of course. She tells me in that wonderful Melina-Greek-English, "My name is Margarete...like the flower." Oh, shit, it's getting poetic, she has my knee at her fingertip, she does not buy my suave, and knows I know it. Who writes her material?! But it gets better. I tell her, my hand on the bar trying to keep from idly drumming, I tell her how flattered I would be to go back there with her and to recieve the charms of her beauty, and such, but "I intend to go up to the Parthenon there just now, with the time I've got – and would love it if you'd come with me, accompany me on a walk to the...um...the Parthe...non...there." If this had played in Berlin it would be like telling her I want to see the Brandenburg Gate with her, if this had played in Philly it would be like saying I want to walk with you to the Smithsonian since we won't be conducting much else of business. D-uhhh. Now, what she does then: I am not making any of this up, my life really is this good.


Shaking her lovely wild main of dark-Melina hair, she tells me – not imperiously but with an easy sovereignty which earns her THE Melina-Award for that or any other year of my life – she tells me, without missing a beat, hair flying back revealing her eyes, her face: "I AM the Parthenon."

Good Lord, who writes her material?! I want to be her love slave. She's good, she's more than good – if she's half that good back in that room, I... no, still no deal, even with that. But as at that very moment I recall in her statement the story of the devout Muslim in some earlier century who would later become a name among Sufi greats, how he had made his way on foot to the Ka'aba to perform Hajj, and en route comes across an old dervish sitting beside the road, who asking him where he's going tells him instead to make his seven circumambulations around himself, the dervish, and his duty will have been fulfilled, he could then return home; the youth, recognizing the power and wisdom in this old dervish, does as he is instructed, attains an advanced state of realization, goes home and becomes a Sufi – sooo, as at that moment I have to glimpse the similarities here, I nod and tell my Margarete, looking her up and down with respect for her style in slam-dunking a goofy kid from Boulder, and looking into her eyes, "I – believe – that." But I still don't budge, she gives up on me, goes off to a distant table, I wind up being out 10 drachma, and find myself standing outside again with my tail between my legs and pissed off at myself. Not so much on account of Her, but the 10 drachma. I was still learning.


Other incidents wind up irritating me, not germain to the story, other than that my walk up to the Parthenon after all turns out to be a disappointment, as at that hour of day all the magic is gone and there remains in its place a pack of mostly German middle-aged tourists in shorts standing around gawking. Not my scene. I take a long, long walk.


Now, fast-forwarding six weeks, the Camp and all it's wonderful impressions are just behind me, I hole up for the night in the Muslim quarter of the Old City, in a grungy hostel, a total stranger, alone – everything is just right, I've settled quite well with the floaty sense one gets of being abroad. I want to be alone, alone is good, I need to digest, to reflect, to absorb. I chat with a wall-eyed Arab kid named Rafi', either he or another traveller tell me that if I have a week in Greece and want to be alone, really alone, then Kéa's the place for me, a lone island getaway for mainlanders, with absolutely nothing to offer but it leaves you alone. Right on the money.


So hovering in the air over Greece again, I pray to my Beloved Melina-Woman-Greece, "Honey we got off on the wrong foot, let's make up and do this right, I'll be spending the week in your embrace, so receive me right this time and let it be good." I actually whisper this through the window over the wing, like a prayer.


This time I get myself to Syntagma Square, this time I know what the fuck I'm doing, this time I read the info and figure out where the hell Kéa is and how I get there: Piraeus by trolly, from there with a boat – six glorious hours on the Med, standing at the prow, loving it, loving it.


Now there is one thing which equals being absolutely alone, to make a journey precious to remember: and that is, to find oneself – all the better for the sheer unexpected spontaneity of it and still better when one does the inviting oneself and takes charge for one's own part, not under anyone else's pressure – to find oneself in exactly the right company of one or more persons, fellow travellers – not tourists but wanderers, wayfarers of the world, children of the earth.


So on that tram I wind up discovering Uwe, a 19 yr. old hippie form Frankfurt-am-Main, who having nothing better planned, gladly joins me en route to Piraeus and my glorious island retreat. Again that voice – "This is where he meets Uwe, whom he likes and should suddenly invite to come along, and who accepts..."


We check in for the night at a youth hostel on our wharf of departure in Piraeus. As the corpulent Greek woman shows us to our quarters, there's that grainy b/w afternoon dimness which causes me to have to focus before I see what the cues-editor is whispering and which I only much later recognize as having been there as well: "Here is where they meet the two Italians..." For sleeping on their bunks and arousing in me an initial resistence to so much as meeting any others, are the Figaro (or Barbieri) Francesco (40) and his companion Alvaro (ca. 21), fresh out of India and en route eventually home. As I take right to them the moment we all gaze at one another, they agree to join us and Francesco and I swap caps while on Kéa – where we sleep on the trashed out beach at the foot of the very not-so-clean Med. But one thing is sure, this island offers nothing, I will be alone and reflecting with my three beautiful new friends. I am Dorothy and our road is yellow, and brick. And this certainly ain't Kansas.

My Italians meditate at the sunrise, perform the - for that time obligatory - prayer-to-the-sun hatha yoga set, and I meditate and reflect and beachcomb with Uwe...


Sitting alone in the one local café there is, one morning over Nescafé – nothing Greek here – with a cheap radio in the background playing American '60s pop – I mean really nothing Greek here – at least all those little wavelets I see lapping up and down from the terrace where I'm sitting watching the waters – as if I were on acid, which I am not, every wavelet, and there are thousands stretching before me, is telling me with its up and down bobbing: "yes yes yes yes yes...." like it's now James Joyce's Bloom in Ulysses. Why not, at least he was Greek. And it does not fail to catch the islanders' attention, when I buy a pack of 15 giant trash bags and go to cleaning up my beach, leaving just a dent in the effect of all that trashing it has taken from tourists – but leaving more than a dent in the hearts of these good natives of Kéa. Silly American.


After much agonized waiting for my ferry back to catch my flight, delayed due to the full moon's effect on those waves (now probably telling me no, no, no – or wait, wait, wait...) my ship finally comes in and I will be leaving my island, it's inhabitants, and my three dear friends. My last night there we are all made to party with the natives, as special guests. I am invited to consider marrying any one of several daughters of the island, and I learn that if I dance like hell while putting down lots of retsina I will not be drunk. The catch is, I am rarely ever drunk, it is my stomach which rebels – every time. And I board that ferry with a Turkish acquaintance after we've enjoyed a long walk together, he's just a kid like me, and the ferry takes a much shorter route over the choppy Aegean to another shore than I had first left. Here I make some six trips to the toilet, those lovely crouching numbers I so loved getting familiar with. I heave six times, and that last time, with hands on the portal I pause from my hurling to gaze out, eyes teary with my cleansing ordeal, I gaze out onto the August sun rising over the Aegean, and knowing that I will never recapture this moment, whisper aloud, "Ohhh, how beautiful!" as I duck my head again for another round of losing that retsina in a manner which I will be repeating many times in my life with ouzo or with 'arak.
But I will never stop dancing.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28EAWlOXrYs&hd=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8VJCQqTL_I&hd=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OrXjjfnhCA&hd=1

No comments: